How to Root Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897
1. On the phone, hit Menu then go to Settings > Applications > Development and make sure USB Debugging is checked ON.
2. Download the One Click Rooting program for your specific phone and extract it to somewhere on your computer.
3. Connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable and launch the file “T-Mobile Vibrant One-Click Root.exe” file.
4. Click the “One-Click Root” button. This will launch a command shell follow the instructions in the CMD window.
Mac Instructions Root Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897
Download OneClickRootMac.zip (requires Mac OS X 10.5 or higher)
1. Make sure your phone is on USB Debug mode: (MENU > Settings > Applications > Developement > USB debugging = Checked )
2. Connect the phone to your computer.
3. Click one of the buttons depending on what you want to do.
4. After the phone has rebooted into recovery select “apply sdcard:update.zip” for I9000 and I9000M and choose “Reinstall Packages” for the US models using the volume keys and then press the home button for I9000 and I9000M and the power button on the right top side for US models to start the process.
UnRooting Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 Instructions:
To Un-Root follow the same instructions except click on the Un-root button. If you rooted using another process you can use this process to un-root as long as you didnt load a rom that created links to busybox. I would suggest to restore you phone back to stock ROM before even needing to unroot and if you are on stock un-root all you want otherwise what is the point of un-rooting.